Sometimes people want to try raw food for their dogs but don’t know where to start! Here’s a healthy RAW food recipe for dogs, that I use for my dogs and my client’s dogs with success! It is easy and varied for optimal nutrients and dog’s love it…
Variety is key…you want to rotate proteins and veggies every 4-7 days – this helps prevent allergies as well as provide nutrients from varied sources. Always choose organic whenever possible as it really does make a difference in terms of nutritional content and they have FAR less pesticides than conventionally raised or grown!
DOG RAW MEAT MENU WITH SOME VEGETABLES
Feed 2-3% of body weight. If it is a puppy feed 2-3% of anticipated adult weight 3-4 x a day.
SOME OF THE AMOUNTS BELOW ARE MEASURED TO FEED A 50 LB DOG ADJUST SUPPLEMENTS ACCORDINGLY.
- 80% muscle meat this includes heart (chicken, beef, venison, rabbit, turkey, quail, duck etc.)
- 10% bone (Give as meaty bones such as chicken backs, wings, necks, tails, veal ribs, venison bones etc.)
- 10% organ meats (liver, kidney etc.)
- Raw organic egg with crushed eggshell
- Flax Oil 1 TBS 2 x daily or 500 mg of Krill Oil
- Probiotic if there are digestive issues or Green Tripe daily/several times weekly.
- Kelp powder 1/8th to ¼ tsp daily (rotate 3 weeks on 2 weeks off)
- ¼ cup of finely minced vegetables (dark green leafy vegetables like Romaine lettuce for example preferred but others in moderation are fine too such as carrots, broccoli etc.)
- Wheatgrass powder 1 teaspoon 2 x daily
***ALWAYS SUPERVISE DOGS DURING MEAL TIME. ALWAYS FEED RAW BONES THAT ARE BIGGER THAN WHAT CAN BE SWALLOWED SO SIZE OF HEAD IS A GOOD START. FEED IN A QUIET AREA WITH NO OTHER ANIMALS FOR COMPETITION SO DOG DOESN’T EAT FAST AND SWALLOW IMPROPERLY WITHOUT CHEWING. NEVER FEED BONES COOKED AS THEY SPLINTER THEY MUST ALWAYS BE RAW!
When preparing meals for your dog please do not give anything with onions or chocolate as an ingredient also some dogs are sensitive to grapes/raisins and for some can prove to be fatal.
Ivana Holub © 2006~ Homeopathy & Health Clinic 905-965-0042